10.20.2008

JOINING THE MULTITUDE


ON SEPTEMBER 29TH I started a new job with University of Phoenix. Becoming part of corporate America was something that has never appealed to me...until now. My interest grew when the economy started to go down the tubes. I needed a better paying job with benefits for Shelby and myself. As wonderful as the hospital was it didn't pay the bills unless I was a nurse or doctor. I know I wont stay in this line of work forever but this experience so far has been refreshing. After setting down the sledge hammer I used to tear down the wall of "I will never conform , put on my black slacks and go to work to sit in my 'very own cubicle'". Something I always imagined to be a universe away. While I am trying to keep an open mind about it, I still hold on to pieces of the mortar that held together that wall. I don't feel that I completely fit, I was not meant to do this job forever but in the mean time I will welcome the bit of financial relief that the opposite used to so consistently eat away at my stomach, and we will use our shiny new benefits complete with dental, vision, full tuition coverage, 401k, and stock options. I have made some more new friends who I have been having a complete and insanely hilarious good time with.

THREE WEEKS OF training; this was our group (minus Kelly Jo who was on a call).



ADAM(left) AND MATT(right) were the two I sat next to everyday, 9 hours a day for these three weeks. Adam and I remained on the same team but Matt went to a different building. We miss him, he is quite possibly the most hilarious person I have ever met!


THIS IS THE view from my cube!


ADAM, ONE OF the more thoughtful people I have ever known, is helping put on the Race for Maggie's Place. A race to benefit the charity that supports mothers who need a home, health care and emotional support while they go through pregnancy and birth. There is a 9k run, 3k walk, and a kids dash for anyone interested in supporting by either coming out or by spreading the word. Here is the website:
www.race4maggiesplace.com
It is November 16th and all proceeds go to Maggie's Place.

4 comments:

moriah said...

I have been meaning to call and check how the job was going. I am a bad friend that I had to find out on your blog, BUT I am glad it is going well. And I hope everything else is going well too.

Krista said...

HURRAY for UOP! haha. I can hardly wait for the day Jeff is doing something eles. But it has definately been good for us! CONGRATS! and Happy birthday to your Momma! oh and we REALLY need to get together before our girls are too old!

Jill said...

Sarah, I have been up so late reading your blog, I feel like we were catching up after too long. Shelby must be the most beautiful baby in all of creation, and you are an amazing photographer. I drove Shelby to day care the other day when Vicki took off with the carseat and Josh had no way to drive her, and she and Grace chatted in the back seat for the entire drive. When we got to daycare I got Shelby out of the van and she kept saying, "come on Grace! Come on Grace!" waving her fingers towards herself. It was so sweet, those two girls just love playing together!

LannaBear said...

WOW! Your own little cube-y! Thats so cool. Cute guys too! Man I want to join!My fingers be crossed man.