10.24.2009

THIS DOG WILL BE THE DEATH OF ME


BRISTOL LEARNED TO dig out from under her kennel. A few weeks ago I got a call at work from Codys brother Logan that he found her hit by a car on the highway. He described her back end as possibly irreversibly screwed up. He said he thought she wont make it another 15 minutes, she had agonal breathing and was "flat as a pancake back there". I was devastated. We felt the best decision as she lay there awake and dying was to shoot her. After making that decision I hung up the phone, went to the vial storage room and bawled my eyes out. About 15 minutes later I called Logan back and he said that when he tried to move her off the road and into his truck bed that she tried to get up and stand for a few seconds. I felt my heart almost leap out of my chest. I asked him to take her to the vet and that I would be there as soon as I got off work. She was miserable but alive. She broke her pelvis in half but could stand. I took her home the next day and she spent the next 15 days in a crate except to drink and pee. She healed up beautifully on my very strict heartbreaking limited mobility decision and is now back to running around without so much as a limp. Bless her heart and heaven help mine. This dog is 8 months old and has already almost died twice (#1 being the rattle snake bite)....Ugh.

No comments: