10.12.2009

CULTURALLY SPEAKING - AN ADDENDUM

I FEEL THE need to write a softer addendum to the before written "Culturally Speaking". While I still believe the same that pieces of certain cultures religious rituals should be left untouched for the sake of preserving tradition and the legacies of our ancestors as well as bringing new born ideas, feelings, and beliefs to those who are open enough to receive the experience without bias. I felt it a bit harsh after re-reading but wasn't sure I would change it.

IT DAWNED ON me today what just might be the internal conflict. While practicing violin I played a few hymns as well as other pieces. I flipped through the hymnal and caught a verse that made sense to my underlying cause. The verse read, "How swiftly round the world his voice reveals...". It is actually referring to the voice of the prophet but at first glance I thought God. This initial thought brought some peace to my little battle. I realize not all religions believe in God but most in a higher power. It was calming to know we can harbor this commonality and still preserve religious culture throughout the world.

WHAT HAS BOTHERED me has been persecution and judgement by both or all sides. Mormons should not be judged for being stereotypically that. Every Mormon is still an individual person bringing into the religion a different way to live Mormon but sharing a common belief that deep down there is a feeling and a comfort of truth.
On the other side, members of the church should step out of their bubble every once in awhile and maintain a golden rule-esque quality and keep our own judgements of other religions out of existence. We may not actually be tainted by embracing the heart of another as they explain their own religious and cultural beliefs and without a thought of rebuttal.

I STRUGGLE WITH this because I don't like ties or structural boundaries put on my mind. If I don't find individuality within a belief system I slightly rebel in a spiritual way. Balance is my goal.

3 comments:

moriah said...

I relate so much to this. Again, thank you for sharing. I truly appreciate it.

Anonymous said...

Dear daughter, I am so inspired by your search and commitment to findinding your truth. The real truth is Love. I know you know that and Want you to know how grateful I am for the lovely LDS women that I work with and their own commitment to that truth, no matter the details. It is His love, and a compassionate and open heart that provide strength and clarity in our lives...love, mom

Jill said...

I agreed with the way you put it the first time around, but I also appreciate your clarification. You are a very eloquent writer, and I always enjoy reading your posts. I am not the typical Mormon girl and I probably do and say a lot of things that have been judged harshly by other members of the church. I take what I can from my church and my faith, I give to it what I can, but I'm not a 'cookie cutter' Mormon girl. I don't fit any molds and I appreciate your interpretation of God, of truth, of faith.

Basically, you rock. :)