6.28.2008

THE UPSIDE OF GHETTOVILLE!


THURSDAY NIGHT I came home from a movie (Ironman) I went to with my friends to find a complete flying ant infestation above my apparently very warm and inviting night stand lamp. Stunned, I stood in disbelief wondering what it was I was supposed to do about the situation. WELL...instead of launching out the door and over to my night owl neighbors whimpering theatrical girly sound effects in an attempt to illuminate my helpless despair, I decided to give the ants a grin and asked if they had any last words!
THE UPSIDE OF ghettoville is this - Poor as dirt, not nice sand or moist potting soil, but dry dusty dirt poor, living 20 paces from a halfway house filled with "gentlemen" always happy to be your audience during constant smoke breaks, single parent (I don't mind this), full-time-student(finally)-full-time-job-kill-me-now, THEN come home to flying ant infestations, ... one can still be happy as a clam grinning at each new challenge and calling it a grand new adventure with the potential for growth; and without trying to step over that social boundary set concerning what we should say out loud about ourselves to others...I am proud of myself! I really like who I am and I am grateful for the spine I grew this year and all that I have done with it.

1 comment:

The Hawkins Family said...

I can't believe how great you are with words, you should be a writer. I am so proud of you too. You have made a lot of changes this past year and you are so much stronger because of it. You are exactly the mommy Shelby needs and the type of person everyone wants to be friends with. I give you props on taking care of the bugs by yourself. I freak if I see a cricket. That is one of the things I depend on Chad for, if there is a bug he better be all over it cause I'm runnin.